Our client, an international bank, is looking for a Legal Counsel to join their highly respected team.
- Provide general legal advice to both staff members and internal committees in respect of business areas on a day-to-day basis and on specific matters such as restructuring and acquisitions to ensure that legal issues are identified and addressed in an efficient manner;
- Negotiate, draft and review contracts and agreements for the Channel Islands and Isle of Man to ensure they will be legally effective and in accordance with group policy;
- To manage a precedent database of relevant agreements to ensure standardised forms of documents and agreements are maintained and utilised;
- To manage disputes and litigation on a day-to-day basis and working with business lines and compliance to resolve disputes in an effective manner;
- Instruct external counsel when necessary and assisting in the monitoring of out-sourced work to ensure external legal advice is delivered in a timely and cost-effective manner;
- Advise on any changes in the law that may affect the business and ensuring that the business is continually updated and informed with regard to the law so that it does not act contrary to law;
- Work closely with the compliance department to ensure that compliance policies and standard documents reflect the same principles and approach;
- Draft policies and procedures to help manage legal risk;
- Ensure the efficient administration of the Boards of Directors for the internal companies within the Group through the provision of support and guidance to the directors both as individuals and as a collective;
- Work closely with the Compliance Department to ensure that notifications are promptly submitted to the Regulator in relation to changes in the directors;
- Attend Management and Board meetings as required to represent the Legal function;
- Maintain corporate data sheets and structure charts of the company entities;
- Perform permanent control checks on the legal department; and
- Complete and file with the Group Legal Department all required periodic reporting.
You will possess the following key characteristics:
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the legal and regulatory regime within which the company operates in the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
- Keen awareness of the potential for matters to cause reputational risk to the business and the ability to reduce that risk.
- Knowledge of company procedures, both financial and operational, relevant legislation and the legal framework.
- Professional qualification as a solicitor or company secretary with at least 2 years experience within the financial services law area.
- Drafting and negotiating agreements, responding to internal and external legal requests and demands, performing legal research, instructing and overseeing work performed by external legal counsel.
- Ability to undertake and also assist Head of Legal, CI to manage the provision of legal advice to the company and its affiliates regarding issues affecting operations such as custodians, trusts, investments, corporate governance, regulatory compliance, bankruptcy and insolvency.
- Ability to undertake and also assist Head of Legal, CI to exercise legal judgement and balance a legal and commercial approach to matters with potentially significant financial and legal exposure.
|Salary||Negotiable upon experience|